Our little punkin! We're finally on the upswing from the nasty cold and lung scare. He finally stopped wheezing a couple days ago and the pulmonologist saw Lucas this morning and said she was very happy with the way his lungs sounded for as bad as they were last week. She said she has already admitted 15 patients into the hospital in the last two weeks for RSV, which season doesn't officially start until the end of October. Wow. The first thing she asked me this morning was whether the pediatrician swabbed Lucas for RSV last week when he was coughing and wheezing so much, and when I said "no," she looked surprised (which got me worried that the appointment wasn't going to end well. But when she listened to him, she said she felt that RSV and Pnemonia could be ruled out for now. Very good news!!
.
And guess what... we get to call the home health company and tell them to come pick up the dreaded apnea monitor. Yeah!! She also wants to repeat his sleep study after we figure out when/if he will have surgery, and wants to do it three weeks after he has surgery, when he's fully recovered. She said there is a chance that with time, he may have outgrown the need for oxygen for his apnea and wants to check to see if he absolutely needs it. We know he will still need his tonsils out in the spring, but can he live without the extra oxygen until then? That will be sooooo nice. Also, since he's getting older and so much more squirmy in his crib, they feel it is a safety concern, as well. Since he takes his oxygen off every morning, they don't want the risk of him getting tangled in it if it isn't absolutely necessary. That has worried us a lot, as he sometimes has it wrapped around his shoulder a couple times. I wish we could do the sleep study tomorrow and figure this one out, but with all the pressure building in his head right now, it would be useless to do it now. So we'll wait with that too, I guess.
We're hanging in there with the pressure for now, I can tell his eye is really dropping. You can't tell from these pictures because I just picked the ones where his eye is up. I just don't know if we'll make it to November. He doesn't seem to be in too much discomfort yet, but that could change at any time. I'll keep everyone posted.
Here's some pictures from this past weekend...
A beautiful day and a snuggle

The kids at the pumpkin patch

With Dad on the hay ride


What's so funny?
There's a great story behind this elephant. Nicholas bought this for him last summer while Lucas was in the NICU, with his own money. Nicholas was riding his bike and stopped by a neighbor's yard sale, he ran home and asked Dad if he could take money out of his bank to get something for Lucas. Bran didn't know what it was, but said sure, if you want to. So, Nicholas took $2 from his bank and carried this elephant home for Lucas, one of his first toys. So incredibly sweet, it brings tears just thinking about that day. For the past year, Nicholas has been very protective of it, if the girls ever try to play with it, he tells them, "get off, that it is Lucas' toy." We tried Lucas out on it for the first time this weekend!

Check me out, I can't quite sit up on my own yet, but I'll get there!
Mommy making me laugh




2 comments:
That's not just any 'ole elephant, it's Lumpy and Roo. Lucas, tell Tigger Red says "Hey!", he'll know what you mean.
It's Lumpy! My Aidan loves Lumpy. I love th epicture of Lucas with the pumpkins. I can't get over how big he smiles. Love it!
Post a Comment