I'm sad to report that we are back at Children's today for surgery this afternoon. I've been suspicious for more than a week that something didn't look right with his eye, and every day it got a little bit worse. I just had this feeling that I couldn't shake all week that something wasn't right, I kept telling Bran that although he seemed happy most of the time, he just wasn't himself. Yesterday he started showing more symptoms of malfunction and Bran took him to the ER first thing this morning. I had a meeting I couldn't change today, so unfortunately, had to miss being there. Dr. Yaun is now going to "Plan B" that I talked about in the last surgery... the new catheter appears to be working, but there is, in fact, walled off areas in the ventricle created from scar tissue (from his bout with meningitis). She is going to go in through the top of his head again with an endoscope and try to break up the tissue so the ventricles can talk to each other again. This just has to work this time.
On a positive note, his new therapy this weekend was awesome. We are so excited and are already seeing some subtle changes in him. Everything that she is doing and this whole method just makes sense. I feel like I hang on her every word when she explains things to us, because it is all so interesting. I read in mother's testimonial for the Anat Baniel method that she gave birth to her son, but Anat gave him life. That's kind of how we feel... we are putting a lot of faith and trust in her to help him, and there's something about her that I know is going to work. She also is so positive, and said he is going to do so much, we just have to teach him another way. Its a far cry from the OT we had to fire a few weeks ago who was already talking about immobility, leg braces, and Botox shots in his legs to help with his high tone. Carla (the new Anat Baniel theraist) is so far from that and said she sees so much potential in him. And she's the first person to give him some slack for all that he's been through and not stressing how much he is not doing. She said it is just un-tapped and his brain needs help wiring. Now our challenge is we have to take a few steps back to try to "un-do" the bad habits he's gotten into the last year with improper therapy that are actually inhibiting his ability to move forward. I have SO much more to talk about with this, but no time to explain now. Lucas just went into surgery a few minutes ago and I stopped at home on my way back from my meeting to grab a few things and thought I'd let everyone know what was happening. Have to run so I can be there when he wakes up.
I don't know if they help sometimes, but your prayers are certainly still welcomed and needed.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I know what you mean about feeling like your prayers aren't working. I am there with ya some days! But hang in there, Angie. Our God is awesome. Look at how much Lucas has been through and he can still smile through it all! If that isn't a blessing from the Lord I don't know what is! You just hang on to your hope. No one can ever take that away from you. You and Bran are such awesome parents and you are doing everything you can to give Lucas a wonderful life. Lucas is a miracle (in every sense of the word) and his life has purpose and meaning and will undoubtedly bring glory to our awesome God even when we don't know it is happening. Sending you all big hugs((())) I hope we can see you when we come up to see Carla next week! You all are in my prayers.
Jen
I will be praying for your little man. Fell better soon little guy! We also due the anat baniel mathod and love it
gid bless
melodi
Post a Comment